Friday, October 22, 2010

Chewy Caramel

I found a recipe for Salted Caramel here yesterday. I've never made anything candy before but I absolutely adore anything caramel. If it has caramel, I definitely want to try it! I bought all my ingredients today, but forgot a pretty key element; a candy thermometer! I read the recipe multiple times and just didn't register that I would need one. So, I winged it. (wung, wang wunged it?) The caramel itself came out fantastic. It's chewy and it tastes better than store-bought! My only problem (and this is my fault, not the recipe's) is that I greased my aluminum foil before I started and my oil puddled on the bottom instead of being cohesively sprayed over the entire pan. The caramel stuck to the aluminum foil pretty terribly and I ended up having to peel it off, losing quite a bit. I made caramel balls with salt and white chocolate drizzle; Not quite the caramel squares that I was shooting for, but delicious none-the-less. Next time, I'll be using wax paper. There will definitely be a next time. [:! Maybe I'll post a picture of the caramel balls in my next post. It's too dark right now to get a good shot and I'm really not sure how they'll look in the long run. Next on my list is a white cake cupcake with homemade buttercream. I bought gum paste yesterday so we'll see what I make with that too! [;


With love,
Staci

2 comments:

  1. oh i love salted caramels and make them often. when I do make them, my four year old hoards them and hides them in his room! looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame him at all! Salted caramel is just, ugh, so delicious. Your family is so adorable. [:

    ReplyDelete